Before they just said they had a divine right to it. - Roger Russell
Interesting thought. One with much behind it in history, in tyranny, and repression. Democracy has been said to be a tyranny of 51% denying the other 49% of their rights. But is that really true? We see elections in “Peoples Democratic Republics” all the time it is a favorite name in communists countries, they like being “Democratic”, they even have elections in many of them, although only “Party Members” can run for office, and they even have election officials to count the ballots and many methods of insuring a “fair election”.
An elected dictator is still a dictator, no matter how benevolent he wants to be, and a benevolent dictatorship will only work if I am the dictator; I do not trust anyone else with that power, and anyone who would trust me with it is a fool.
Now we were never meant to be a democracy but a Republic. Two different forms of government. Greece in the Peloponnesian era had a true democracy, every person had a chance to go to the seats of government and represent their interests, a right to speak and be heard before a vote was taken on laws and treaties., no one represented another, all were equal.
In a Republic we elect those who will represent our interests and values in the halls of government. All are equal before the law, but only those elected get to speak and be heard before the voting takes place on laws and treaties.
In a Monarchy the Emperor, King or whoever is often a hereditary ruler, considered to be the “Elect of God” and having divine rights to his office, as such he was not accountable to mere men for his actions but only to God. A very powerful dictatorship, maintained by the right of force.
By allowing our country to fall into a democracy; this was done by the 17th Amendment and the direct election of Senators, we have removed to protections of States Rights ; we have allowed our elected officials to become dictators over us. Rule of law has devolved into rule of man and the force of the government becomes Right.
While this is not a problem caused by Democrats alone, they are in the forefront of pushing it to its logical limits, a Hereditary Government, exemplified by the Democrats claim to the “Kennedy Seat” in the Senate
Some Offices Appear Inherited, Not Elected
By Dana Milbank
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, January 23, 2005;
It came as little surprise last week when Doris Matsui announced, four days after her husband's funeral, that she would run for his seat in Congress.
If the widow is successful in succeeding her late husband, Rep. Robert T. Matsui (D-Calif.), she will join a long list of lawmakers to follow relatives into office. With at least 18 senators, dozens of House members and several administration officials boosted by family legacies, modern-day Washington sometimes resembles the court of Louis XIV without the powdered wigs.
Blue blood is not required for political legacies; a number of those in Congress now are black or Hispanic: Rep. Kendrick Meek (D-Fla.), son of former congresswoman Carrie Meek; Rep. Harold E. Ford Jr. (D-Tenn.), son of former congressman Harold Ford; Rep. Charlie Gonzalez (D-Tex.), son of former congressman Henry Gonzalez; Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-Calif.), daughter of former congressman Edward Roybal; Rep. William L. Clay Jr. (D-Mo.), whose father was a congressman; and Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D-Ga.), daughter of former Georgia state representative Billy McKinney.
In the Senate, no fewer than six current officeholders have followed their fathers in that body: Murkowski, Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), Lincoln D. Chafee (R-R.I.), Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn), Robert F. Bennett (R-Utah) and Mark Pryor (D-Ark.). Five others had famous relatives in other high places: John E. Sununu (R-N.H.), whose father was governor and White House chief of staff; Judd Gregg (R-N.H.), whose father was governor; Mary Landrieu (D-La.), whose father was New Orleans mayor; John D. Rockefeller IV (D-W.Va.), whose uncle was vice president; James M. Jeffords (I-Vt.), whose father was chief justice of the state supreme court; and Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.), whose father served in the House.
With the power to pass laws that they exempt themselves from, pass on hereditary seats I wonder do we really elect them? Or do they claim a “Devine Right”?
Just my thoughts for today.